It’s hard to break into any industry, especially one as competitive as coding. Considering children are learning coding languages we are learning in university, we need an edge, or better yet, a platform where we can collaborate and learn.
GitHub’s Learning Lab has recently launched and it’s not your typical webcast or tutorial; it’s an app that encourages active learning and participation. After training thousands of people to use Git and GitHub, the platform is designed to help emerging developers be one step ahead in their software development careers. It sounds like a pretty good stepping stone for those of you looking for a career in developing.
So what the heck does it do?
Your tasks and learning are managed by a bot in GitHub’s repository. It will comment, review and even request things from your work from a series of practical labs like any manager would (without the passive-aggressive attitude). The Learning Lab also has a Community Forum which allows you to get some support from other learners and expert trainers. It seems there is a w wealth of knowledge behind the doors of GitHub.
What is covered by GitHub?
You’ll find five courses covering our most popular topics at launch:
- Introduction to GitHub: Get an introduction to the most common, collaborative workflow for developers around the world.
- Communicating using Markdown: Learn how to communicate on GitHub and beyond with Markdown’s simple syntax.
- GitHub Pages: Host a website or blog directly from your GitHub repository.
- Moving your project to GitHub: Get tips for migrating your code and contributors to GitHub.
- Managing merge conflicts: Learn why merge conflicts happen and how to fix them.
Coming soon to GitHub Learning Lab:
- Contributing to open source: Make your first open source contribution in a friendly mapping project.
You do require a GitHub membership to access this, but it’s a free service unless you wish to dive into private repositories (which is $7p/m). Despite the small fee for private resources, from what we’ve heard, it’s worth every moment of your time.