Good news, homebodies!
August 1st may have been the horse’s birthday, but Netflix is giving YOU the goods! And it couldn’t have come at a better time: uni has just restarted, the weather is MISERABLE and, after having a month off, your procrastination skills are probably pretty rusty. Luckily, Netflix is always a solid time waster.
This month has a tonne of Netflix originals, which seem to be getting better and better (the peak of TV existence for me currently is Stranger Things). So throw that assignment aside! Here’s what Netflix is bringing to us Aussies this August.
It might be freezing outside but I promise global warming exists, and 45th vice president, Al Gore, will NOT stop talking about it! This documentary on the slow death of our planet is quite polarising. I don’t know if it’s the Futurama references, the way dry information is presented in such interesting ways, or that I just like feeling guilty about my use of fossil fuels, but I really love An Inconvenient Truth.
Following the work of Al Gore and his efforts to educate on climate change, director Davis Guggenheim incorporates Gore’s message and charismatic presentations with the science of global warming.
“Al Gore strips his presentations of politics, laying out the facts for the audience to draw their own conclusions in a charming, funny and engaging style, and by the end has everyone on the edge of their seats, gripped by his haunting message,” said Guggenheim.
Ultimately, An Inconvenient Truth is less depressing than it is inspiring, encouraging real action from the audience. Check it out from August 1st.
After you’re done being cultural and educated, you can switch back to good old, guilt free, headless action. As with pretty much any Tim Burton film, this 90s classic horror flick is PERFECT for the grey, rainy August days (and if it’s misty it’ll pretty much feel like you’re right there in Sleepy Hollow).
Constable Ichabod Crane (Johnny Depp aka my bae) is sent to Sleepy Hollow to investigate three headless murders. Things get pretty spoooooooky though, when signs start to point towards a legendary headless horseman as the murderer.
While Sleepy Hollow isn’t really a scary movie, it does have its share of jump scares and I adore the cheesiness of it (dat nostalgia). Check it out from August 1st.
This one is brand new! A Netflix original, The Little Prince is a beautifully animated movie based on Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s iconic children’s book, Le Petit Prince. The story follows The Little Girl (voiced by Mackenzie Foy, aka Murph from Interstellar and Renesmee from Twilight: Breaking Dawn), whose mother is pushing her into adulthood. She’s over-scheduled and strung out, when she suddenly meets her eccentric neighbour, The
Aviator (voiced by Jeff Bridges from True Grit and The Big Lebowski). Together, they adventure through a new world of imagination where anything is possible, as The Aviator regales her with stories of The Little Prince: an unusual boy who lives on an asteroid. The voice cast boasts several notable celebs, including Rachel McAdams, Paul Rudd, James Franko, and Rickie Gervais. And, from the trailer, the animation is stunningly unique. Check it out from August 5th.
You can read the rest of the list for August below, happy binging!
- The American Side (2016)
- An Inconvenient Truth (2006)
- APEX: The Story of the Hypercar (2016)
- Beethoven’s Christmas Adventure (2011)
- Big Daddy (1999)
- Black Widow (1987)
- Critical Condition (1987)
- Deadfall (2012)
- Destination: Team USA (2016)
- Funny or Die Presents: Donald Trump’s The Art of the Deal: The Movie
- The Family Man (2000)
- The Fast and the Furious (2001)
- The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)
- Final Destination 3 (2006)
- From the Terrace (1960)
- Holding the Man (2015)
- How To Win The US Presidency (2016)
- In the Shadow of the Moon (2007)
- ISIS: Women Unveiled (2016)
- Masha and the Bear: Season 2
- Memoria (2015)
- The Naked Prey (1966)
- NCIS: Season 13
- Pay It Forward (2000)
- The Real Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
- Roseanne Collection: Collection 3
- Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- Sliding Doors (1998)
- Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)
- Teacher’s Pet (1958)
- The Verdict (1982)
- The Wedding Planner (2001)
- What Women Want (2000)
- Young@Heart (2007)
- Zack and Miri Make a Porno (2008)
- Beat Bugs: Season 1 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- David Cross: Making America Great Again (2016) NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Ever After High: Epic Winter NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- The Little Prince (2016) NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Punk’s Dead: SLC Punk 2 (2016)
- Slow TV:
- National Firewood Evening, National Firewood Morning, National Firewood Night (2016)
- National Knitting Evening, National Knitting Morning, National Knitting Night (2016)
- Northern Passage (2016)
- Northern Railway (2016)
- Salmon Fishing (2016)
- The Telemark Canal (2016)
- Train Ride Bergen to Oslo (2016)
- The Confirmation (2016)
- Real Husbands of Hollywood: Season 4
- TRex (2015)
- St. Vincent (2014)
- Flight of the Butterflies (2012)
- No Country for Old Men (2007)
- Ask the StoryBots: Season 1 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- The Get Down: Part 1 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Project Mc2: Season 2 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- 13 Cameras (2016)
- Louis CK: Live at the Comedy Store (2015)
- Let’s Go to Prison (2006)
- Our Last Tango (2015)
- The Curse of Sleeping Beauty (2016)
- The Last Heist (2016)
- Puffin Rock: Season 2 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Bottersnikes and Gumbles: Season 1 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Fearless: Season 1 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Maz Jobrani: I’m Not a Terrorist, But I’ve Played One On TV (2015)
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: The Seventeenth Year
- Septembers of Shiraz (2015)
- The Road (2009)
- Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013)
- Dawn of the Croods: Season 2 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Glitter Force: Season 2 NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy: We’ve Been Thinking... NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Once Upon a Time: Season 5
- XOXO (2016) NETFLIX ORIGINAL
- Rams (2015)
- The State of Marriage (2015)
- Ku’damm 56: Season 1