Let’s face it, the threat of being fined for not voting isn’t what will drag our hungover arses down to the polling booths tomorrow morning: we’ll be there for the legendary democracy sausages. The Council of Australian Sausage (an election sausage sizzle and democracy sausage joint initiative) has once again brought home the bacon with a full list of the greatest cake, sausage and cold drink stalls around Australia on election day. So, whether you think Shorten is a bit of a wiener or that Turnbull is the wurst, these sausage sizzles won’t disappoint:
- Keiraville Public School – An absolute rippa’ of a barbie with democracy sausages, bacon and egg rolls, steak sandwiches and a ‘Keiraville Special,‘ which we are told comes with the lot. Cold drinks and cakes will be served and the Waffles Braeside Ladies craft stall will be pumping if you want an election day souvenir.
- Corrimal Library & Community Centre – The Corrimal Cougars SRLFC will be raising funds at this one (put your pants back on, it’s a football club). These guys are coeliac conscious, providing gluten free options for their E+B rolls, steak sangas, and of course the democracy sausage. Drinks, lollies and cakes will also be available if you’re looking for a sugar coma.
- Shellharbour City Anglican Church – As if a democracy sausage wasn’t good enough, this polling station has FREE tea and coffee and a FREE jumping castle! Although we’re told the jumping castle is for kids only…
- Dapto Ribbonwood Centre – The ladies from the Illawarra Honeybees will be there raising money for cancer care. Feel good democracy sausage? Yes please! The Dapto Physical Culture Club will also be there providing all the classic BBQ meals (onion optional).
- Sussex Inlet Community Centre – The Sussex Inlet Men’s Shed will be doing a deadset stellar job raising funds for the community and cooking up some tasty hamburgers while they’re at it. And with a lovely seaside town like good old Sussex, why not make a day trip out of it and get a bit of sunshine into you.
- Nowra Public School – A classic for Gilmore voters, these guys really know how to sizzle a sausage. If you’re lucky you may even spot our local celebrity, Ann Sudmalis, voting for herself…
Want to more locations? Visit democracysausage.org
Still not sure which box to tick tomorrow? Check out our election guideline here.